INDIAN GEOTECHNICAL SOCIETY CHENNAI CHAPTER
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY MADRAS, CHENNAI
National Centre for Safety of Heritage Structure
Indian Geotechnical Society Chennai Chapter
Indian Geotechnical Society, IGS, was established in 1948 with the purpose of advancement and dissemination of knowledge in different fields of geotechnical engineering. The Madras Chapter of IGS was established in 1987 and later named as Chennai Chapter. Chennai Chapter has more than 1000 life members including about 120 members of parent body. The chapter has been organizing seminars and symposiums every year with emphasis on field practices.
The National Conference IGC-1983 was held at IIT Madras. The Chennai Chapter conducted IGC-1996 at Anna University, IGC-2006 and IGC-2016 at IIT Madras. IGS Chennai Chapter also organised the 4th Indian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference (4IYGEC) on May 17-18, 2013 and 6th International Geotechnical Symposium (6IGS) on January 21-23, 2015 at IIT Madras.
Chapter Chair: Prof. V.K Stalin, CEG, Anna University
Honorary Secretary: Prof. R.G. Robinson, IIT Madras
Chapter contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chapter website: www.igschennai.in
Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai
Indian Institute of Technology Madras is one among the foremost institutes of national importance in higher technological education, basic and applied research. In 1956, the German Government offered technical assistance for establishing an institute of higher education in engineering in India. The first Indo-German agreement in Bonn, West Germany for the establishment of the Indian Institute of Technology at Madras was signed in 1959.
The Institute was formally inaugurated in 1959 by Prof. Humayun Kabir, Union Minister for Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs. The IIT system has sixteen Institutes of Technology. The first of these to be instituted are at Kharagpur (estb. 1951), Mumbai (estb. 1958), Chennai (estb. 1959), Kanpur (estb. 1959), Delhi (estb. 1961), Guwahati (estb. 1994) and Roorkee (estb. 1847, joined IITs in 2001).
IIT Madras is a residential institute with nearly 550 faculty, 8000 students and 1250 administrative & supporting staff and is a self-contained campus located in a beautiful wooded land of about 250 hectares. It has established itself as a premier centre for teaching, research and industrial consultancy in the country.
The Institute has sixteen academic departments and a few advanced research centres in various disciplines of engineering and pure sciences, with nearly 100 laboratories organised in a unique pattern of functioning. A faculty of international repute, a brilliant student community, excellent technical & supporting staff and an effective administration have all contributed to the pre-eminent status of IIT Madras. The campus is located in the city of Chennai, previously known as Madras. Chennai is the state capital of Tamilnadu, a southern state in India.
Institute website: www.iitm.ac.in
National Centre for Safety of Heritage Structure
NCSHS was established at IIT Madras under the aegis of the Ministry of Human Resources Development (Government of India) in July, 2013. NCSHS is envisioned as a long-term programme towards addressing the national grand challenge of ensuring structural safety of historical monuments and other heritage structures in India with resource persons from India and abroad. The centre is mandated to:
(a) Undertake fundamental research and technology development,
(b) Build capacity in national and state-level implementing agencies,
(c) Provide technical solutions to challenges in conservation, and
(d) Disseminate R&D outcomes.
NCSHS established a state-of-art dynamic biaxial seismic shake table in the Structural Engineering Laboratory at IIT Madras in 2017-18 to carry out fundamental research on seismic behaviour of historical constructions. NCSHS is also equipped with full-fledged suite of field testing equipment for diagnostic investigations on historical monuments, and non-linear structural computing facilities. The different areas of research focus of NCSHS include historical materials, structural analysis (modelling, analysis, assessment and retrofit design), technology for conservation, hazards, geophysics and geotechnical engineering, and education, outreach, policy and coordination.
Indian Geotechnical Society Trichy Chapter
Indian Geotechnical Society (IGS) has more than 40 chapters in various parts of the country. IGS - Trichy Chapter is one of such chapters working under IGS National Body, New Delhi. IGS Trichy Chapter was started in the year 2014 and is dedicated to advancing knowledge and creating opportunities for the sharing of information by academicians and practitioners in a broad range of geotechnical disciplines with the view of contributing to the achievement of excellence in geotechnical engineering for the benefit of society.
IGS Trichy Chapter will be holding the 6th INDIAN YOUNG GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERS CONFERENCE 6IYGEC during 10 – 11 March 2017, NIT Trichy, India.
IGS Trichy chapter Chairman: Dr. K. Muthukkumaran, NIT, Trichy
Honorary Secretary: Dr. S. Senthamilkumar, PMU, Tanjavur
Chapter website: www.igstrichy.in
College of Engineering Guindy, Anna University
Located in the heart of Chennai city, the sprawling campus of the College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG) with cutting edge infrastructure has been the foundation for many a successful engineer, scholar, and leader. The University offers 18 UG, 35 PG (Regular) and 34 PG Self-supporting courses. CEG has 16 Departments, 6 University Affiliated Centres, and 12 Research Centres where research programs are offered. With close ties with industry, excellent research practices and multiple extra-curricular options, the institution advances the progression of the student's quest for knowledge. The faculty along with the excellent student population makes the campus one of the best places to study in the nation.
College of Engineering, Guindy in Chennai, India, is one of the oldest engineering and technical institutions in India, having been established in 1794 as a survey school, and 1858 as a Civil Engineering School and was then re christened as College of Engineering in 1861, under Madras University with the inclusion of the Mechanical Engineering course. Today it is one of the four constituent colleges of Anna University that was established in 1978 as a unitary type of University. Since December 2001, Anna University has become a large, highly renowned Affiliated University, having brought into its fold more than 500 Self-financing Engineering Colleges six Government Colleges and three Government-aided Engineering colleges located in various parts of Tamilnadu State. College of Engineerig Guindy started the first post graduate course in Soil mechanics in the year 1958.
Institute website: www.ceg.annauniv.edu/
College of Engineering Guindy
12, Sardar Patel Rd, Guindy
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600025
International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering ISSMGE
The ISSMGE is the pre-eminent professional body representing the interests and activities of Engineers, Academics and Contractors all over the world that actively participate in geotechnical engineering.
As a truly global organisation, the ISSMGE provides a focus for professional leadership to some 90 Member Societies and around 20,000 individual members. The International Society had its origins in the First International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering held in Harvard in 1936. A total of 206 delegates attended from 20 countries. In order to ensure continuation of this very successful initiative, an Executive Committee was set up with Karl Terzaghi as President and Arthur Casagrande as Secretary; but war intervened and the Second ICSMFE was not held until 1948 in Rotterdam. Again this proved to be a great success, with 596 delegates. By the time of the Third ICSMFE in Zurich in 1953, the International Society had become firmly established, with Terzaghi as President and Donald Taylor as Secretary. In 1957 A W Skempton became President, and the Secretariat moved to the UK. Since 1965, the Secretaries General have been J.K.T.L. Nash (1965-1981), J.B. Burland (1981) and R.H.G. Parry (1981-1999). The quadriennial ICSMFE became an established pattern from 1953 and the Jubilee Conference was held in San Francisco in 1985, attracting 2000 delegates and guests. The first Regional Conference was the Australasian Conference held in Australia in 1952, and quadriennial Regional Conferences have also become an established pattern. In 1981 the Steering Committee was set up to give a better focus to the rapidly expanding Society. It became the Board in 1985, which meets every year, while the Council meets every two years. In 1997, Council approved a change in name to the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering to reflect more accurately the activities of the Society.
ISSMGE has experienced a rapid growth in membership, the 32 Member Societies and 2500 individual members in 1957 increasing to 50/11500 in 1977, 71/16500 in 1998, and 89/20800 in 2017. The growth in membership has been matched by increasing activities, largely through the establishment of many active Technical Committees and Task Forces.
ISSMGE TC 301 - Preservation of Historic Sites
The Technical Committee on the Preservation of Monuments and Historic Sites (named TC19) established by the International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) in 1981, is supported by the Italian Geotechnical Society (AGI) and renamed TC301 in 2010. The main objective of the technical committee is to organize symposia and workshops with the aim to exchange and compare experiences and to collect case histories. Two international symposia were organized by TC 301 in Naples during 1996 and 2013. A special volume titled “Geotechnics and Heritage” containing invited lectures related to exemplary case records was published in 2013.
By considering that each monuments is a "unicum" and taking into account the concept of "integrity" it is rather difficult to apply approaches based on guidelines to the preservation of monuments. Therefore the effort is devoted to
framing of the special requirements and constraints to be considered in any rehabilitation intervention on Monuments in order to preserve their of cultural and historical integrity;
geotechnical methodologies suitable for the interventions on Monuments and Historic sites.
TC 301 Chair: Prof. Renato Lancellotta, Italy
Secretary: Prof. Alessandro Flora, Italy
Members from India: I.V. Anirudhan, Dr. K. Muthukumaran
Prof . A Boominathan, IITM
Er. I V Anirudhan, Geotechnical Solutions
Prof. V K Stalin, CEG, Anna University
Dr. Arun Menon, IITM
Dr. K Muthukumaran, NIT Trichy
Dr. Subhadeep Banerjee, IITM
Prof. R G Robinson, IITM
Prof. M Mutharam, CEG, Anna University
Dr. V B Maji, IITM
Dr. T Thyagaraj, IITM
Dr. Dali Naidu Arnepalli, IITM
Dr. Tarun Naskar, IITM
Dr. V Balakumar, Simplex Infrastucture
Dr. Janardhanan G, NITTR
Dr. P T Ravichandran, SRM
Er. K Sekar, Tamilnadu Highways Research Station
Er. V Paneer Selvam, VPS Builders
Dr. S Senthamilkumar (IGS Trichy secretary)
Dr. G Venkatesan, Anna University, BIT Campus, Trichy
Mr. S Sivaraman, Joint Secretary – IGS Trichy chapter
Prof. G R Dodagoudar, IITM (Chairman)
Prof. Carlo Lai, University of Pavia
Prof. Sebastiano Foti, Politecnico di Torino
Prof. Deepankar Choudhury, IIT Bombay
Prof. D K Baidya, IIT Kharagpur
Prof. N K Samadhiya, IIT Roorkee
Dr. Satyendra Mittal, IIT Roorkee
Prof. C H Solanki, SVNIT
Prof. S Sireesh, IIT Hyderabad
Shri Ravikiran Vaidya, M/s. Geo Dynamics
Prof. Ashim Kanti Dey, N I T Silchar
Dr. A Murali Krishna, IIT Guwahati
Dr. Priti Maheshwari, IIT Roorkee
Dr. Arindam Dey, IIT Guwahati
Shri. Bhima Azmira, Superintending Archaeological Engineer, ASI
Dr V N Prabhakar, Director (Excavation), ASI
Dr Rohit Jigyasu, President, ICOMOS India
Dr Shikha Jain, DRONAH, India
Shri. Navin Piplani, Principal Director, INTACH Heritage Academy
Dr A M V Subramanyam, Superintending Archaeologist, ASI (Chennai Circle)
Prof. Ramesh Bhole, Coordinator M.Arch. (Conservation), SPA Bhopal
Prof. Anuradha Chaturvedi, Head, Department of Architectural Conservation, SPA Delhi
Dr P K S Chauhan, CBRI Roorkee
Prof. Jigna Desai, Area Chair (Conservation), Fac. Arch., CEPT University, Ahmedabad
INTERNATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Prof. Renato Lancellotta, Chair, TC 301
Prof. Eun Chul Shin, Vice President Asia, ISSMGE
Prof. Alessandro Flora, Secretary, TC 301
Prof. Carlo Viggiani, University of Napoli Federico II, Italy
Prof. John Burland, Imperial College
Prof. Efraìn Ovando Shelley, Uni. Nacional Autónoma de México
Prof. Michele Jamiolkowski, Politecnico di Torino
Prof. Mamoru Mimura, Kyoto University
Prof. Dong Soo Kim, KAIST
Dr. M B Lisyuk, M/s. Georeconstruction, Saint Petersburg
Prof. Carlo G Lai, University of Pavia, Italy
Prof. A Roberto Sanchez Ramirez, Institute of Engineering, UNAM, Mexico
Prof. Roberto Paolucci, Polytechnic University of Milan, Italy
Prof. Dr. Ing. Karl Josef Witt, Bauhaus University, Weimar, Germany
Prof. Sebastiano Foti, Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy
Dr Demis Milani, M/s. SOLGEO Srl., Bergamo, Italy
NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Prof. G L Sivakumar Babu, President, IGS
Prof. J T Shahu, Hon. Secretary, IGS
Prof. S V Ramaswami, Anna University
Prof. K Ilamparuthi, Anna University
Prof. M N Viladkar, IIT Roorkee
Prof. S R Gandhi, Director, SVNIT
Prof. K G Sharma, IIT Delhi
Prof. Mahendra Singh, IIT Roorkee
Prof. G V Ramana, IIT Delhi
Prof. M Rama Rao, RVR & JC College of Engineering
Prof. C N V Satyanarayana Reddy, Andhra University
Shri M D Nair, M/s. AIMIL Ltd
Dr. Anil Joseph, M/s. Geostructurals
Dr. C R Parthasarathy, M/s. Sarathy Geotech
Prof. Javed N Malik, IIT Kanpur
Dr A K Mittal, CBRI Roorkee
Dr. B K Bansal, Advisor and Head (Geoscience/Seismology), Min. of Earth Sciences
Dr. Rajiv Ranjan, Additional Chief Engineer (Civil), NPCIL
Shri. V V S Ramdas, Keller Ground Engineering Pvt. Ltd. India
Shri. Jahnwij Sharma, Joint Director General, Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)